Sunday, February 05, 2006

Sorry, I meant to update this blog more frequently. Let's see what I have for now.

From the Joplin Globe, "This school signal really shines Galena uses grant to buy solar-powered crossing light"
The fluorescent lights in old signals have been replaced by light-emitting diodes, a new technology, he said. The new lights are brighter and use less energy than the old lights, he said. The crossing sign also is a brighter color and more visible, he said.

Lookit that, a light that uses less energy than fluorescent. And is brighter. Hooray for solar power.

net.wars: Cubiclife
Kudos to Wendy M Grossman for figuring out how to get those flourescent bulbs out and successfully hiding them.

And there are some good lighting tips to be found in The Ithaca Journal/Gannett New Services. Illuminate your space: Layered lighting brings a room to life I hate overhead lighting almost as much as I hate fluorescent lighting, and any kind of naked bulb is just plain ugly.

From the Newtown Bee I found an article about Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD).
The SAD Truth: Combating Seasonal Affective Disorder
For dealing with it, one of Dr Hungerman's suggestions was:
"How do you reverse it? Do some exercise, go for a walk," he said. Most importantly Dr Hungerman said, "Alter your light; the worst light is florescent."

For more inf on SAD Check out sada.org.uk.

On a related note I checked out The Healing Power of Light by Primrose Cooper from the library. I haven't read it yet but I'll give a review when I do.

No comments: